Tip #1: Build Rapport Know You, Like You, Trust You
Building rapport is tip #1 from our series: 7 Tip to Close More Sales.
As we said in the first video, a customer must know you, like you, and trust you before they will buy from you.
The ‘know you, like you, trust you’ model is a process. Think about it. When you meet someone for the first or second time do you automatically trust them? Probably not. Only when they prove themselves trustworthy can you begin to trust them.
So, how does this apply in the sales world? Actually, it’s pretty simple. The following are a few tips to get you started.
- Be friendly. When you meet someone, offer a warm smile, look them in the eyes, and engage.
- Be real. People don’t like phony’s.
- Be genuine. Ask questions and really listen to your customer. Questions do not have to simply be about business. Getting to know customers on a personal level can only help the relationship.
- Give genuine compliments. If you like the customer’s website or office, say so. Compliment them on a recent award or accomplishment, etc. It’s important to be genuine.
- Know the company culture. A seasoned sales professional researches the company before going in. Do they dress in a suit and tie, is the business casual. Maybe it’s anything goes where a Hawaiian shirt and sandals work just fine. You want to fit into their culture.
- Do what you say you’re going to do. Trust is built on keeping your word and delivering on the commitments agreed to. Always under-promise and over-deliver. And if for some reason you cannot make a deadline or commitment, call the customer and tell them ASAP. They may get angry, but they will respect the initiative.
These 6 bullets will give you a great start to building that relationship. Remember: ‘know you, like you, trust you’ doesn’t’ happen overnight. It takes time and consistency. So, why not start today?
Thank you for listening.